Keep A Safe Distance
Whether you are playing outdoors with your children or working on landscaping projects, keep a safe distance from power lines and other equipment Central Wisconsin Electric Cooperative uses to get electricity to your home.
- Stay away from power lines, meters, transformers and electrical boxes.
- Don’t climb trees near power lines.
- Never fly kites, remote control airplanes or balloons near power lines.
- If you get something stuck in a power line, call Central Wisconsin Electric Cooperative to get it.
- Keep a safe distance from overhead power lines when working with ladders or installing objects such as antennas.
Downed Power Lines
A downed power line may still be an energized power line.
- Never touch or go near a downed power line.
- Don’t touch anything that may be touching a downed wire, such as a car.
- Keep children and pets away.
- Call Central Wisconsin Electric Cooperative at 1-800-377-2932 to report downed power lines.
Vehicle Accidents and Utility Poles
If you encounter a vehicle accident involving a utility pole or power line:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Don’t touch any passenger who may be in contact with a power line.
- Don’t touch anything that is in contact with the vehicle.
- Don’t attempt to move power lines or utility poles.
- If passengers must exit the vehicle, jump clear of it without touching the vehicle and ground at the same time. Land with feet together and shuffle away.
- Don’t rely on rubber boots, raincoats, rubber gloves or wire cutters for protection.